Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Ireland in 1940s and 50s

We are going through a bad recession at the moment as we die in the late 70s and 80s but it just does not compare to what I would describe as a depression ireland went through in the 40s and 50s and before.
I returned to my home town of Wicklow having spent some time there which included being evacuated from an orphanage in Croydon near London, but I don't remember being hungry 'til I returned home.
 Poverty was all around and most people lived from day to day and though not starving were often hungry
 There was little or no employment except for the lucky few and thousands were emigrating every year. It was the money sent back by these emigrants that sustained many families. I emigrated in 1957 as there were no prospects for me at home.
 Things didn't change until Sean Lemass took over as taoiseach and encouraged foreign investment, He is one of the few Irish politicians I admire. John

5 comments:

  1. John,
    Now that's what I call a recession. I think at times we all need to take our present recessional circumstances in to account and compare to those desperate days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Work John!

    We lost the match to Rathnew!

    See you next week

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said John, people who say this is the worst recession ever are ignoring the conditions people had to endure in post 'emergency' years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On, Joe Duffy, today I heard how badly the workers of Laura Ashley were treated when the firm sold the premises to Disney. Even though the firm were very profitable they only offered statutory redundancy to their loyal staff. It seems that loyalty only goes one way in big business and profit levels are the only criteria.

    ReplyDelete